I’ve finally released my first ever jQuery plugin! \o/
It’s a very small bit of code that will prevent orphaned words on your web pages.
Now we’ve gone all responsive, and text is (virtually) no doubt the vast majority of web content from here on out, it’s the attention to detail that will make the difference when we look at our typography as a starting point.
Go and grab it
This could possible be the most belated piece of code in the history of the technological age.
A bold statement considering the vapourware nature of Duke Nukem Forever, but this has been on my to do list since… actually, let’s do a flashback.
Time for an idiosyncratic wipe
It all started in Nottingham, in the bitterly cold January of 2011. I had managed to wangle a ticket, through my employers at the time, to go to my first ever web design conference. In this case it was New Adventures in Web Design, put together by Simon Collison and Greg Wood.
And a wonderful event it was too. But there is still one distinct point that sticks in my mind.
It was during Jon Tan’s talk, “Language and the Lizard Brain”, the he made a passing reference to orphaned text, and how it was a pet hate of his (it was something along those lines, apologies, we’re now trusting my brain to remember something from 2½ years ago).
In that moment I had a spark of inspiration.
“I must make a little jQuery plugin that will fix that problem. It’ll only be small, so it won’t take me long…”
Fast-forward 2½ years
I finally had a reason to implement this plugin I’d had in the back of my mind for a ridiculously long time. It just popped back in to the forefront of my mind when resizing the browser down to see where the design break.
The design didn’t, but the text did. With my OCD tendencies (if you’re not aware of these, you may need to read about my socks), that lonely little word, all by itself on it’s very own line… Well, it just wound me up.
So I built my first every jQuery plugin.
In a grand total of 1 hour.
Go and grab it and save those poor little orphans.